Axon Integrative Health is proud to offer Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) as part of our comprehensive treatment options for various mental health conditions. TMS is a non-invasive, innovative, and evidence-based therapy that can provide relief for patients who have not found success with traditional treatments. In this service page, we will explore the benefits of TMS, the conditions it can treat, and what to expect during treatment at our Denver, Colorado, office.
Conditions Treated with TMS
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation has been proven effective in treating a variety of mental health conditions, including:
- Major Depressive Disorder (MDD)
- Treatment-resistant depression
- Anxiety disorders
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Bipolar disorder
- Chronic pain conditions, such as fibromyalgia and migraine
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Parkinson Disease
- Alzheimer Disease
How TMS Works
TMS works by using magnetic fields to stimulate specific areas of the brain associated with mood regulation. During a TMS session, an electromagnetic coil is placed on the patient’s scalp, which generates magnetic pulses that painlessly pass through the skull and into the brain. These magnetic pulses stimulate the targeted brain region, promoting the release of neurotransmitters and improving neural connections. This process can help alleviate symptoms associated with various mental health conditions and improve overall well-being.
The TMS Treatment Process
At Axon Integrative Health, our experienced doctors will conduct a thorough evaluation to determine if TMS is a suitable treatment option for your specific condition. If TMS is deemed appropriate, you will begin a personalized treatment plan, which generally consists of the following:
- Treatment Schedule: TMS sessions typically last 20-60 minutes and are administered five days a week for four to six weeks. The exact duration and frequency of sessions may vary based on individual needs and the condition being treated.
- Preparing for Treatment: Prior to your first TMS session, our doctors will provide you with detailed instructions on how to prepare for treatment, including any necessary medication adjustments.
- During Treatment: During each TMS session, you will be seated comfortably in a chair while the electromagnetic coil is placed on your scalp. You may feel a tapping sensation on your head and hear clicking noises as the magnetic pulses are delivered. Most patients find the treatment to be painless and tolerable.
- Post-Treatment: After a TMS session, you can immediately resume your normal activities. There are typically no significant side effects, and any mild discomfort usually resolves shortly after treatment.
Benefits and Risks of TMS
TMS offers several benefits for patients, including:
- Non-invasive and painless
- Minimal side effects
- No need for anesthesia or sedation
- Effective for patients who have not found relief with traditional treatments
- Can improve overall well-being and quality of life
While TMS is considered a safe treatment option, some potential risks and side effects may include:
- Mild headache or scalp discomfort
- Temporary facial muscle twitching
- It is important to discuss any concerns or questions with our doctors before beginning TMS treatment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is TMS covered by insurance?
Many insurance providers cover TMS for the treatment of major depressive disorder and other mental health conditions. We recommend contacting your insurance company to verify your specific coverage. Our staff at Axon Integrative Health can also assist with insurance-related questions.
Can TMS be used in conjunction with other treatments?
Yes, TMS can be used alongside other treatments such as medication, psychotherapy, and integrative health practices to provide a comprehensive treatment plan tailored to your specific needs. Our doctors will work closely with you to determine the most effective combination of therapies for your condition.
How soon can I expect to see improvement in my symptoms?
While individual response to TMS varies, many patients begin to notice improvements in their symptoms within the first few weeks of treatment. Full benefits are typically experienced after the completion of the treatment course. Our doctors will closely monitor your progress and make any necessary adjustments to your treatment plan to optimize outcomes.
Is TMS a long-term solution for mental health conditions?
TMS can provide long-lasting relief from symptoms for many patients. However, as with any treatment, the duration of symptom relief varies from person to person. Some patients may require maintenance sessions to maintain their improvements. Our doctors will develop a personalized aftercare plan to help you maintain the benefits of TMS therapy.
Outlook for Patients Receiving TMS
Patients who undergo TMS treatment at Axon Integrative Health can expect a supportive and compassionate care environment, coupled with state-of-the-art technology and expertise. TMS has been shown to provide significant relief from symptoms for many individuals, improving overall well-being and quality of life.
Discover the benefits of TMS for your mental health at Axon Integrative Health
If you or a loved one is struggling with a mental health condition and has not found success with traditional treatment methods, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation at Axon Integrative Health in Denver, Colorado, may be the solution you’ve been searching for. Our experienced doctors are dedicated to helping you achieve lasting relief and improved well-being through personalized and comprehensive care. To learn more about TMS and to determine if it is the right treatment option for you, contact us today at (720) 994-2966 to schedule a consultation.